Mafia: Definitive Edition is a fantastic narrative driven by the cab driver, Tommy Angelo, who quickly gets wrapped up in a series of (un)fortunate events leading up to his new job as a Mafia soldier under the Salieri family in the city of Lost Heaven. This game is full of adrenaline, with tommy guns blazing and high-speed chases. The game is set in the decade of the 1930s, with Tommy making his rounds, until, (as old Mafia fashion would have it) chaos ensues. This game shines in not only its great storytelling and voice acting, but the visuals are remarkable (in the cutscenes, anyway). This game had me hooked until the moment I started playing, and may I mention, I was glued to this game, beating it in only two sessions of playing it.
I didn't get to play the original game when it was first released in 2002 on PC or in 2004 when it was released on console, but I can only assume they didn't have the option to skip meaningless drives to and from Tommy's mission locations, and wow, was that a time saver! I found myself only driving when there was another supporting character in the car with me, or if it was during a chase. The car steering is as realistic as it comes, with it becoming harder and harder to make sharper turns without power steering being available. The Mafia series, is one of its kind when it comes to realism, from speeding violations, realistic mafia relations (confirmed), car movements and design, and daily lifestyles for people residing in the 1930s decade. Although with its great comeback to stardom, I was disappointed to find that the developers didn't add anything else to the game other than just remastering it. It seems they have a way of making a gorgeous city feel dead, when there's no side activities to partake in, other than a nice Sunday drive through Lost Heaven. I would have hoped they'd take a lesson from Godfather on PS2, and allow for one to become a boss of their own, with a set of their own rackets and shakedowns, when it came time to pay up, and allow us to take over other territories. It just seems that it would have added some more longevity to the game, because once I finished the story, there didn't seem to be any reason to continue playing it.
The gameplay felt very smooth for the most part, with the duck and cover routine not seeming to catch up to itself to make it boring. The game had a limited selection of guns, but I think for a heavily narrative game like this, you don't need much, just enough to cover a few different categories based upon the variety of situations. I found myself using every weapon at least once in a fight, with a pistol making the most sense for accuracy, since you will take a lot of damage, if you don't follow the duck and cover protocol.
The missions in this game are for the most part, exciting! I found myself almost always in action, since I utilized the "skip drive" feature quite frequently, because I couldn't stand the car mechanisms of turning. I felt like I went through this game in a matter of hours, but every second of it was very enjoyable! The next best part to the action was the two supporting characters, Paulie and Sam, where I felt the family love come in from my two closest partners. Their characters really encompassed the feeling of being apart of a Mafia family. The dive into introducing a set of characters from them two, to Sarah, Frank, Vinny, Ralphie, the Don. and a few others, it felt like a community you couldn't live without. I had a great time playing this remastered version of Mafia 1, and I am excited for you to check it out as well! Let me know how you guys felt about the game in the comments below!





Comments
Post a Comment