Love. That's how I would describe The Last of Us Part II, in both gameplay and in narrative arcs. Controversy has surrounded the title, from people's expectations not being met, to fans thinking the game focuses too much on a political agenda, but beyond the bullshit that it gets, it will still serve to be a historical trademark for the PS4 generation. So what is it that makes this game so special?
The love is powerful. Narrative and character development is the core of this game, with Naughty Dog striving to create relationships that will leave you both full of vitality and heartbroken from start to finish. After 26 hours of gameplay, I found myself encapsulated by the environmental landscapes that the game offers as a breath of fresh air from its intense gameplay. Its weapons, similar but with a few new features; Ellie's enemies, stronger, and the NPCs, personable.
Its most compelling feature is the new character design that has NPCs shouting each other's names as they are gunned down, one by one from Ellie's rage. You'll stumble upon mounds of documents that uses familiar names that'll be referenced upon call-outs from the factions. Through this feature, and its use of gameplay storytelling, it's clear that Naughty Dog's hope is for you to gain empathy. In more ways than not, you'll either find yourself desensitizing from the violent acts you commit, or you'll start to forgive, and allow more enemies to go unharmed from your wrath.
To say that its most stressful moments are where the game shines, would be an injustice to the slower paced scenes that offer an in-depth look into who will be joining us on this revengeful journey. I found the supporting characters to be lovable enough, but I still would have liked to learn more about them, as I continued to pursue my goal as Ellie. But where the character likeness lacked, Ellie's prospered. Her perspective stays consistent, but inhumane acts will test her judgement. What this game does offer, is the question, If you were in her shoes, what would you do?
There is a debate circling whether the original was better than the sequel, and in more cases, it's usually the original that comes out as the hero of the two. I wouldn't disagree that the first game is a masterpiece, but I feel as though it only now serves as a catalyst for a new vision of a game unseen before its time, whereas, the second game grapples with the original story, only to have it unveil a multitude of facets not covered in the original. The first game was more of a linear story, with the second doubling down on free roam environments, that can sometimes feel overwhelming, and makes it nearly impossible to find all collectibles on a first playthrough, without meeting the expected 40 hour mark that was said to be equivalent to its flawless completion. In terms of an overall rating, it varied for me quite frequently, before I completed the storyline. The beginning half left me ready for the heart-wrenching tale that was about to begin, with the middle really challenging my feelings towards whether it'd ever match up to the first, but it was the end that really brought it home for me. The last third of the game was the most beautiful sequence of fighting, storytelling, scenery, and pacing which was a great closure for another chapter in The Last of Us franchise.
On a scale from 1-10, this is easily a 9, if not a 10.
I find that my love for Ellie never goes away, and leaves me missing her the second I'm done playing, but it was the narrative arc change halfway through the game, that disappointed me the most, where playing as Abby felt jarring for the expectation that I'd be playing as Ellie for the full 26 hour playthrough. With that exception, I found everything else to be inline with what I'd expect from a sequel originating from a legendary masterpiece. This is The Last of Us Part II.
THE LAST OF US PART II
9.5/10
VIEW MY ENTIRE PLAYTHROUGH OF THE LAST OF US PART II HERE:

Comments
Post a Comment